Welcome to the Student Wellness Centre!
As we all know, often students during their college life or stay at hostel feel and experience a lot of difference, this transition can be full of fun and new experiences but at times can come up with new challenges of managing life and increased responsibilities. Students Wellness Centre ensure that you are not alone during your stay at AIIMS.
Few issues are experienced by almost everyone initially during their college years such as academic difficulties, home sickness, social (family and friends) pressures, relationship issues, sense of loneliness, stress, anxiety, difficulty managing conflicts, low confidence, etc. Often as a result of these challenges students find it hard to pay attention on their academics and themselves leading to poor performance and further increase in the level of stress being experienced. Thus, seeking timely intervention is important and beneficial.
Student Wellness Centre (SWC) at AIIMS seeks to enhance individual and collective health of the campus through its various services. It provides professional health and counselling services to students. The services are dedicated to help the student population in making healthy life decisions related to their academics, relationship, stress management in a supportive and confidential environment. The Centre even aims to provide a supporting environment to the students and guide them through personal, social, familial and relationship related challenges. Services here are provided at the primary level to prevent, detect early and treatment issues related to emotional health and psychological conditions.
In short the SWC provides an opportunity to all the students at AIIMS to seek help in times of confusion, challenges and stress so as to regain themselves and their happiness. Counselling and supportive services at the center provides an opportunity to learn ways to handle stress, manage conflicts, make better choices, improve interpersonal relationships, develop confidence and increase academic performance.
Some of the frequent concerns reported by students are as following
- Academic pressures
- Lack of motivation and concentration
- Difficulty handling transitions and change
- Personal relationships and issues with friends, family, etc.
- Conflict with friends
- Family concerns
- Emotional issues like depression, anxiety
- Issues of grief and loss
- Difficulty managing work-life balance
Not just this the centre, organizes various events and activities to promote psychological well-being of students as well as to help them take up a balance and health lifestyle. Some important topics covered by the SWC through workshops are
- Stress Management
- Grief Management
- Communication Skills
- Catching up with Sleep
- The art of creating time
- Add ROM for your Intel: Learning approaches
- The Zen mode: Rebooting life
To provide a nurturing environment at AIIMS that cares for the “whole student”, fostering not only critical thinking and competence but also holistic wellbeing.
- Provide advice to and advocacy for students
- Act as a hub of resources, referrals and information for students
- Promote the academic success and holistic experience of students
It aims to achieve this by provision of sensitive care tailored to the unique and diverse needs of each student in an accessible and respectful environment.
- Dr. Pratap Sharan (Professor, Department of Psychiatry AIIMS- M.B.B.S, M.D., Ph.D.)
- Dr. Aniamika Sahu (Ph.D., M.Phil. Clinical Psychology)
- Ms. Kalpana (M.Phil. Clinical Psychology)
- Ms. Aishwarya Raj (M.Phil. Clinical Psychology)
- Ms. Divyani Khurana (M.Phil. Clinical Psychology)